Table of Contents
Mac Makeup Brush Set are some of the most popular and iconic makeup brushes on the market. Known for their high-quality craftsmanship and stylish black handles, Mac brushes have reached an almost cult-like status in the makeup world. But with so many different brushes to choose from, it can be overwhelming trying to figure out which ones you really need. This comprehensive guide covers everything you need to know about Mac Makeup Brush Set to build the perfect brush collection.
The Importance of High-Quality Mac Makeup Brush Set
Why invest in high-end makeup brushes instead of cheaper drugstore options? The answer comes down to two key factors – materials and shapes. Mass produced Mac Makeup Brush Set are typically made from low grade synthetic hairs that lack versatility. The shapes are also not specialized for precise application.
Mac Makeup Brush Set on the other hand, are handcrafted with top quality natural or synthetic fibers expertly shaped for applying different makeup formulas. For example, natural bristles work best for powder products as they pick up and blend just the right amount of product. Whereas compact synthetic fibers are ideal for cream and liquid formulas.
The materials stand up better over time and wash after wash. So while you pay more upfront for a Mac brush, you actually end up saving in the long run from not having to replace it as often. And with proper care, a Mac brush can last 5+ years. The high-end materials and construction also result in a softer, smoother makeup application.
Choosing the Right Brush Shapes and Sizes
Mac offers a vast range of over 200 different brushes, targeted at everything from foundation to blush to eyeshadow. So how do you determine which shapes and sizes you need? Here is a breakdown of the most common Mac brush types and what to use them for:
Kabuki Brushes: These dense, short handled brushes are perfect for buffing liquid or mineral foundation onto the skin. Try the Mac 190 Foundation Brush.
Stippling Brushes: Ideal for dispersing pigment with a soft diffused finish, making them great for layering cream cheek color or bronzer over foundation. Go for the Mac 188 Small Duo Fibre Face Brush.
Powder Brushes: Large, fluffy round brushes that excel at sweeping loose powder products evenly across the face. See Mac 134 Large Powder Brush.
Blush Brushes: Soft, slightly tapered brushes in a range of sizes to allow for precise blush application on the cheekbones. Popular options include the 116 Blush Brush or 129 Powder/Blush Brush.
Precision Brushes: Tiny brushes for detail work such as highlighting, contouring and eyeshadow. Look to the Mac 219 Pencil Brush or 212 Flat Definer Brush.
Eyeshadow Brushes: Fluffy, flat and angled brushes made specifically for applying, blending and contouring eyeshadow in different areas. Must-haves include the 217 Blending Brush, 239 Eye Shading Brush, 242 Shader Brush and 266 Small Angled Brush.
You really don’t need to own every brush Mac offers. Start with one brush per category depending on the areas or products you apply on a daily basis. Then build on your collection over time.
Top 10 Best Selling Mac Makeup Brush Set
Not sure which individual brushes to start with? Here are the 10 best-selling Mac Makeup Brush Set that cover all the makeup brush basics:
- Foundation Brush: The 190 Foundation Brush delivers flawless foundation with its sleek wooden handle and ultra-dense synthetic bristles. Buff liquid or cream foundation onto the skin for full coverage with an airbrushed finish.
- Kabuki Brush: The 185 Kabuki Face Brush comes with a compact short handle and flattened dome top made of super soft 100% natural bristles. Use it to bronze and highlight facial contours or touch up powder during the day.
- Angled Brush: The 168 Large Angled Contour Brush allows you to expertly chisel and define the cheekbones with blush, bronzer or contour powder. The slightly angled shape hugs every curve for precise application.
- Blending Eyeshadow Brush: The 224 Tapered Blending Brush does exactly that – seamlessly blend eyeshadow colors with its soft fibers tapered to a pencil point. Achieve a professional diffused smoky eye look.
- Concealer Brush: Camouflage blemishes, undereye circles or discoloration with the 195 Concealer Brush. The extra fine synthetic taklon fibers provide medium to full coverage of liquid or cream concealer formulas.
- Eyeliner Brush: Create crisp graphic eye looks with the 266 Small Angled Brush thanks to its precise angled tip perfect for applying gel or liquid eyeliner. The brush hair is also ideal for wet use.
- Brow Brush: Groom and fill brows with the 263 Angled Brow Brush, made of smooth pony and goat fibers shaped to follow the natural brow. Use to apply brow powder, pomade or liner for fuller arches.
- Eyeshadow Shader Brush: With its fluffy paddle shape, the 242 Shader Brush effortlessly sweeps cream or powder eyeshadow over the entire eyelid up to the creases. Achieve intense color payoff packing on pigment.
- Blush Brush: Sculpt and shade your cheeks with the 116 Blush Brush, designed to perfectly fit every angle of the face. The brush bristles pick up and distribute the ideal amount of blush or bronzer for a natural flushed look.
- Lip Brush: Define lips and glide on color smoothly with the 316 Lip Brush thanks to its tapered shape and smooth synthetic bristles. Get precise application with favorite lipstick formulas.
Building a Mac Makeup Brush Set
Once you’ve selected your must-have individual Mac brushes, it’s fun to collect them together into a stylish matching set. Mac makeup brush sets typically contain 5 – 7 brushes of various sizes and purposes that cover all aspects of your makeup application. Sets are ready to gift and look so pretty on your vanity too!
Here are some of the best Mac makeup brush sets to consider:
Holiday Brush Sets: Mac launches special edition holiday brush sets every year around the winter season. Past years have included the Frosted Firework Brush Kit featuring icy white bristle hair and silver ferrules with vibrant touches of color, along with the Glow Play Brush Set designed with neon pink bristles and bright green accents.
Limited Edition Collections: Keep an eye out for Mac’s many creative collaborations and limited editions launches such as the Aladdin Collection Desert Brush Kit or the Basic Bitch Brush Set & Pouch from the Patrick Starrr collection.
Core Brush Sets: Choose from functional core brush sets focused on different makeup applications like the Prep + Prime Brush Collection containing essential face and eye brushes to prep skin, apply and blend makeup. Or the complexion-focused Face Brush Collection with four brushes for achieving flawless foundation, contour and blush looks.
Brush Roll Sets: Select a stylish brush roll set like the Basic Brush Kit with a leatherette carrying case and five travel-friendly core brushes: powder, blush, eyeshadow, angled eyeliner and lip brush. Everything fits neatly inside for jet-setting.
Building a customized brush set with your favorite essential Mac brushes is also an option. Add your name for a personal touch!
Caring for Mac Makeup Brush Set
Mac Makeup Brush Set represent a significant investment. Caring properly for them ensures they continue looking and performing like new for years. Follow these best practices for extending your Mac brush lifespan:
-Clean brushes frequently. Give brushes a deep clean once a week and quick cleanse after each use to prevent product and oil buildup which can damage the bristles.
-Use brush cleanser. Wash brushes with mild baby shampoo, brush cleanser or the Mac Brush Cleanser formula using running lukewarm water. Avoid getting water in the ferrule metal piece.
-Lay flat or hang dry. Reshape and let brushes fully air dry upside down before using to prevent the glue in the ferrule from softening. Invest in a drying rack, stand or hangers.
-Never soak bristles. Limit water contact with natural hair bristles to prevent loosening.
-Comb frequently. Gently comb through bristles weekly while conditioning under running water with olive oil or brush conditioner to redistribute and realign strands.
-Store upright in cases. Keep brushes in protective pouches or cases stored upright to retain shape.
-Replace every few years. Plan on replacing your most heavily used Mac brushes every 3-5 years depending on wear and tear for best makeup application results.
With proper maintenance, your Mac Makeup Brush Set can deliver flawless beautiful makeup application for years on end while never going out of style. Every makeup lover needs at least one iconic Mac brush in their collection to appreciate the soft, high performance difference. Build on your own Mac brush set over time – it makes a wonderful gift to yourself or other makeup enthusiasts who will appreciate luxury tools of the trade!